Monday 12 November 2012

Titles in trailers


After doing research into how titles are presented in trailers from this I would chose my own
  • film title
  • style of presenting title
  • when to present it
  • how to present the release date
Titles
The above research concludes that every film I came across that the title would be present as the penultimate scene, with a verbally funny scene following it and then followed by the release date or 'coming soon' depending on how early the trailer was produced.

It also shows that all films present their title on a screen of it's own. None of them show the text over a film clip or similar, it is a still, relatively plain background.
Also in presenting the titles, a vignette style seems popular as it was used by Just My Luck and She's Out of my League. Perhaps this is because it draws attention to the title without being too obvious. I have also noted that 3 of the films researched here; the titles are capitalised. Also, Made of Honour and Definitely, Maybe have used a line design to illustrate the two halves of the title; this idea would only work with longer titles or words that could be split into two different connotations. The colours most used here is blue; then pink. Perhaps this is because these are the two main colours associated with gender, which is a prominent part in romantic comedies.

Release Date
She's Out of my League (2010, dir. Jim Field Smith) has numbers on the release date screen as a main theme of the film is numbers; this links the date to the rest of the film; as well as the phrase 'It'll all add up' above the date; suggesting all questions shall be answered according to the trailer, this is perhaps the most decorative of backgrounds used.

27 Dresses has the most prestigious look titles, this may be because the main theme of the film is weddings, which are prestigious events; this also leads to R.S.V.P above the release date, as you RSVP to a wedding invitation, using this also engages the audience as they feel 'invited' to watch the film.

To relate this aspect to my film; I could have a line similar on my end screen:
  • Come along for the ride on [date]
  • Stick around for [date]
These all play on the theme that the main characters are stuck together and on a road trip. I think I prefer 'Stick around for...' as it relates more to the title I have chosen, and therefore linking the trailer together more and having more for the audience to remember the film by.

Films used in this post:
Just My Luck (2006, dir. Donald Petrie)
Made of Honour (2008, dir. Paul Weiland)
She's Out of My League (2010, dir. Jim Field Smith)
No Strings Attached (2011, dir. Ivan Reitman)
Definitley, Maybe (2008, dir. Adam Brooks)
27 Dresses (2008, dir. Anne Fletcher)

No comments:

Post a Comment