Monday 12 November 2012

Fonts

I initially went through the fonts available on the Mac and looked for any that I thought had the same connotations as a romantic comedy. The things I was looking for in the font were connotations of:
  • happy
  • a little feminine, but not too much
  • most likely sans serif
  • perhaps handwritten look
From this these ideas I picked out the fonts:


Using the research in my post Titles in Trailers, I looked at the fonts used when displaying the film title in trailers. Just My Luck (2006, dir. Donald Petrie); Made of Honour (2008, dir. Paul Weiland); She's Out of My League (2010, dir. Jim Field Smith); No Strings Attached (2011, dir. Ivan Reitman) all used sans serif fonts.
  • Just My Luck uses a funky, simple font, matching with the colour choice. The smaller letter spacing in the title makes it look quite elegant as well
  • Made of Honour, is more bold and striking, which matches with the capitalisation, this effects is used similarly on She's Out of My League, but with a gradient used in the font colour.
  • No Strings Attached is a mixture of the two styles seen before; it is very simple, yet still gives a bold effect.
  • Definitely, Maybe and 27 Dresses are both serif fonts and give a more classy, traditional look. Especially 27 Dresses which uses a contrast of colours to break up the title.
All the titles are on two or more lines, or the words overlap slightly, as in 27 Dresses. This keeps the text in the centre of the screen whilst having it as large as possible.
Most of these titles broke some of the conventions I was originally looking for as the bold, large, capitalised fonts that the majority of them use are not considered feminine. If I was go by the conventions I have seen and the fonts I have picked out, I think Futura or Coolvetica is the most suitable. However the styles used in 27 Dresses and Definitely, Maybe show that not all films use bold fonts, and any of the fonts chosen could be suitable. Therefore I will judge on which I think looks the best aesthetically; which I believe to be Marker Felt or Futura.

No comments:

Post a Comment