Monday 19 November 2012

BBFC (British Board of Film Classification)

A green screen is shown at the beginning of a trailer (and film) to show parents whether the film is suitable for their children or not. I went to the BBFC website to find out more about this.

Below are the specifications for the main classifications, I didn't include 18 as it was obvious to me I did  not meet the criteria.

By looking at these specifications, I have decided my trailer is rated U. However; I think if this was to become a full length film, some milder aspects which are barely touched on in the trailer, would be elaborated more and making the film a PG or 12.

I then looked at 12A or higher films, and compared their film rating with the one given on the trailer. I found, most romantic comedies have a U rated trailer, when the film is rated 12. They may have another, higher rated trailer to give a more insightful look into the film, but if they have used a U band trailer, they can approach the largest audience. An example of this is....

On the BBFC website it states
'All theatrical advertisements, regardless of time duration, will need to be submitted for classification.
Adverts shown theatrically must display the symbol of the category awarded for a minimum of five seconds, before the work begins, or burnt into the bottom left or right corner of the frame itself.'

This is the rating screen that I shall show for 5 seconds before my work.



Although BBFC rates the films, often the screen shown is rated by MPAA ( This is shown by Submarine (2010, dir. Richard Ayoade) which is a British film, and only has limited release in the USA. However, as seen below, has the rating approved by the MPAA.



Bibliography for this post:
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/
Classification notes from downloadable PDF from http://www.bbfc.co.uk/classification/guidelines/- but also available on the same page to read.
Image from: http://www.moviemanmenzel.com/MovieTrailers.php

No comments:

Post a Comment